One month week from now, 65 teams will be distributed throughout a converging bracket diagram in an annual tournament that captures the attention of any sports fan. Through the opening rounds to the Sweet 16, Elite 8, and Final 4, we live and die as the seconds tick away. With last second heaves from half court to the pressure-packed free throws, the Tournament is the cardiac event that signals the end of the college basketball season. (As an aside, the NCAA in its infinite wisdom (and greed) is considering expanding the field to 68 or 96 teams. But, that is a subject for a different post.)
As a pleasant diversion from the stresses of the recession and everyday life, and as a full-blown stress test itself, Gontram Architecture is pleased to host our Annual NCAA Pool. It’s absolutely FREE and open to just about anyone. Our only real requirement is that you limit it to one entry per person. (Multiple entries will disqualify you entirely.)
As always, we have great prizes! This year, you can win an iPAD, Kindle, iPod and other great prizes! 1st place prize is the new Apple iPAD, offered by Engineered Construction Co. 2nd place is a Kindle from Atlantec Engineers! Enthalpy Analytical and WindDesigns have also contributed great prizes. It’s not too late to sponsor, so if your company would like to get involved by donating a prize, contact me ASAP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every year, we host this Pool as a way to redeem bragging rights with friends and family, reconnect with old friends, and make new ones. Yes, office productivity suffers a bit (mostly my own). And, mood swings are always anticipated (again, mostly my own). But, this is just too much fun!
Over the years, we’ve also found that other companies actually use our Pool to host their own office pool. They’ll have everyone kick in money (our pool is free by the way) and keep track of everyone in our standings. Just a happy, little situation we’ve found on more than one occassion.
Some interesting NCAA Office Pool Statistics:
- According to the FBI, approximately $2.5 billion is wagered in office pools during the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament each year. (No wagering here, our pool is FREE!)
- An estimated 37 million office workers will participate in an office pool, as reported by Challenger, Gray and Christmas.
- Nearly half of all American workers have participated in an office pool at some time, as found in a survey by Spherion Corp.
- In that same survey, Spherion found that of those that participate in pools, 75% spent less than $20 each, while 8% spent more than $50 each. (Again, our pool is FREE!)
- Assuming an average of 10 minutes of “wasted” work time each day for the 16 days of the Tournament, that equates to an approximate $1.7 billion expense to employers.
- Odds of filling out a perfect bracket are one in 9 quintillion (9,000,000,000,000,000,000), according to Forbes. The odds of winning the Powerball Jackpot are 1 in 195,000,000+/- (a whole lot better).