With the “Round of 64” complete, Gontram Architecture’s 17th Annual NCAA Basketball Pool is well underway, with many already asking themselves, “What was I thinking?!”
With 1,137 participants this year, only one (Logan Culbreth) still had a perfect bracket through Thursday, but that ended on Friday evening when UMass lost.
If there is one thing that I will take into consideration next year, it will be team free throw percentage. If you suck at ’em, plan on being fouled – a lot. Just as Jimmy V introduced the tournament to it in 1983, fouling down the stretch was an absolute killer for some teams in the opening round, and my NC State Wolfpack was no exception (hopefully, they will spend ALL SUMMER PRACTICING THEIR #$%&@ FREE THROWS!!).
Take note of a few things when looking at our reports:
- “Coin Flip” is actually a bracket we filled out using the flip of a coin to make the picks.
- “Chalk” is a bracket we filled out picking all of the higher seeds – no exceptions.
- President Obama’s picks are entered, just for giggles.
Gontram Architecture’s version of the traditional office pool is unique:
- Our Pool is FREE – no money, no trouble with the authorities.
- It’s open to anyone. (We don’t encourage folks under 18 yrs old to play, but we don’t object either.) Two years ago, 6 of the top 10 finishers were still in elementary school!
- While we are NOT giving away $1 Billion for the perfect bracket, we do have great prizes from great sponsors, including tablets for the top 3 finishers:
- Microsoft Surface RT from Atlantec Engineers
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.0 from C.E. Ham Electric
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 from Gontram Architecture and G5 Design-Build
- Roku3 from Harris Structural Design.
- $100 Gift Card for Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse from Floorscape NC, Inc.
- Apple iPod Shuffle from Ten Penny Construction, Inc.
- NCAA Flags from WindDesigns – The Flag Shop.
- T-shirts from Gontram Architecture
- Horse’s Butt trophy for Last Place